Site of old Houston Castle in Scotland

Site of old Houston Castle in Scotland
Houston Castle Site in Scotland

This genealogy site covers surnames Moore, Houston, Robertson, Brown, Baugh, Smith, Camp, Ballard, Williams, Harrison, Davis, Milam, Arthur, Walker, and many more.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Story from Rev. Joseph Burch Walker in the late 1800's

"I also visited my grandfather Capt. William Powell in Hampshire Co. near Romney. These journeys took me across several rivers and over mountains. I thought in my childish mind, because I had been told grandfather lived in the country, that all "the country" was grandfathers. When leaving the City for the first time I was wonderfully struck with the largeness of the "lots," which I called the broad fields, and the great length and crookedness of the "streets" at grandfathers’, as I called the roads. Meeting some females in the rough mountain country who were shoeless in the summer weather, never having seen the like before, I exclaimed, "Oh mother, do the ladies go bare footed at grandfather’s?" My grandfather Powell was fond of singing and I learned from him several tunes, and after a lapse of sixty-five years remember and sing them still. My Grandfather came to his death from severe injuries from the fall of a tree. Two or three days terminated his sufferings. He died singing the hymn, "Oh for a closer walk with God."

1 comment: