"David and Hannah (Reagan) Houston, natives of Ireland, came to Lauderdale County in 1813 and settled on their plantation about 13 miles west of Florence on the Waterloo Road, near Gravelly Springs, and adjoining the old Natchez Trace. They had lived in Tennessee until they moved here with their thirteen children. Their home was a large, three-story brick structure built along the typical ante-bellum lines. A huge water tank, located on the roof, caught rain water and furnished the household with running water. This home burned sometime before 1900.
"The Houston cemetery, some signs of the old brick foundations of the mansion, and remains of the once elegant garden house are the only signs today of the old home, the boyhood home of the onetime Governor and U.S. Senator, George S. Houston, one of the thirteen children.
"The Houston land supposedly exended from Gravelly Springs to the Tennessee River where they had a boat landing."
This genealogy site covers surnames Moore, Houston, Robertson, Brown, Baugh, Smith, Camp, Ballard, Williams, Harrison, Davis, Milam, Arthur, Walker, and many more.